Friday, June 4, 2010

Google Applications

When you start to work with Google and all of the different applications the search engine has available you will be amazed. I have been a long time user of Gmail and Google docs, and I have always been impressed by their convenience. Since we started unit 3 I have created a Google calendar, a personal search engine, and a Google notebook. These are all resources that I have used in other programs, but the most useful feature of the Google applications, is that you can access them anywhere there is internet.

I created a calendar and can see where being able to share this with students and parents would be another great resource to communicate about homework, projects and tests. It would allow for everyone to have easy access to when things were assigned and when due dates occur.

Personal search engines have the convenience of giving students quick and easy research opportunity, without them having to filter through material that isn’t accurate. If students research using the approved search engine, they know their sources will be appropriate.

I can see some great uses for Google notebook. The way I applied for this unit was to put my Essential Questions, vocabulary, and homework from chapter 1. This can allow for two convenient options. First, I can easily share this information with my fellow teachers. I was the only teacher to use this curriculum for the first year, however, there will be three of us using the resources next year. We can use an online notebook to check to see each other’s progress and share different teaching strategies. Secondly, I can share this notebook with students and parents so they would have access to what is going on in the classroom.

These are just a few applications that I have had a chance to experience in Google. I can see many ways to utilize these sources to collaborate with students, teachers, and parents in an effective manner.

My search engine:

No comments:

Post a Comment